Translate

Saturday, March 21, 2020

Sewing Coronavirus Masks at Home



Face Mask Sewing Patterns Roundup





face mask sewing patterns

I'll Start This One With a Disclaimer

The following list of masks will not replace an N-95 mask but may help you if you have nothing else to wear.
So many readers have asked me about this that I felt I had to pull something together.  This is not a recommendation on our part, only a list for our reader's convenience and at their request.  Please make your own decisions about your health and seek the advice of the experts in your community.
Given the recent outbreak, many have realized the benefits of using face masks when going out in public.  This has even been mandated in many countries already and it seems like it may only be a matter of time before that comes to the US.
Here is some very recent information from the US Center for Disease Control and Prevention recommending the use of homemade masks if nothing else is available.  Click the link for the full details on the CDC website.

face mask sewing pattern
Unfortunately, many people have now discovered that all the major stores including the likes of Amazon are currently out of N95 mask or that the prices have been jacked up so much that they are simply not affordable.
It's unclear what value a fabric face mask would have but it seems to me it is probably better than nothing.   It will not stop truly aerosolized virus particles but it definitely seems like it would help if someone coughed or sneezed directly on you.  You'll have to make your own call.
face mask sewing pattern
In any case, here's a list of a bunch of different styles of face mask sewing patterns.  Please enjoy and stay well.

Here Are a Few of the Things We've Been Stocking Up On



My Amazon Picks
DEAL OF THE DAY
ENDS IN
$26.93
(187)
DEAL OF THE DAY
ENDS IN
$20.25
(108)
DEAL OF THE DAY
ENDS IN
DEAL OF THE DAY
ENDS IN

Face Mask Sewing Pattern Roundup

Here's a list of some of the best face mask sewing patterns that I could find on the internet.  I hope they are of value to you. Hover over the picture to show the title, click to open, or right-click and open in a new tab to keep this page open too. And don’t forget to pin it.

How About A Simple Oversized Sleep Mask?

Rest is also super important in staying healthy.  If you need to improve your sleep, why not try this simple oversized sleep mask pattern.




Bookmark the permalink.

130 Responses to Face Mask Sewing Patterns Roundup

  1. Tacha says:
    I have not read any information about using non-woven interfacing (brand name Pelon). Interfacing comes in many weights from very thin and soft to thick and stiff. It is easy to work with and washable. I make prototypes and sew garments. I have scraps of everything.
  2. AnnieO says:
    Does anyone have a long sleeve tie in back gown pattern? I have over 100 yards of vinyl sheeting that I could make disposable gowns for my mothers nursing home but can not find a long sleeve pattern
  3. Dorinda says:
    What about Embroidery machine stabilizer as a filter? I would think Cut-Away would be best. Is there an actual pattern available anywhere?
  4. Lilias Schlender says:
    for the people who can’t find elastic you could cut the elastic off a fitted sheet. if the sheet is 100% cotton use the material for lining the masks also? just a thought to pass along.

  5. Sandi says:
    I want to make masks for hospital employees. What do I need to make them?
  6. Mea Cadwell says:
    I read an article from a doctor in France, collaborating with a doctor in China (and verified these were actual doctors) who said to use two layers of cloth with an anti-bacterial, non-woven fabric between as a filter. Many of the flimsier totes you can find in grocery stores are made of this material. So, I’m making double-sided masks with a slit to insert replaceable filters.
  7. Linda Howard says:
    I read somewhere to use (burp cloth) which is a light weight felt material. not the felt squares. they suggest was all material in hot water before even starting. I have everything. just need to wash the material.
  8. Ja11 says:
    Please edit this post to tell people to donate their N95’s, not “stock up” on them. How can healthcare workers care for you if they get sick as they don’t have the protection they need.
  9. Diane R says:
    Our health minister here in Ontario Canada doesn’t recommend face masks. There is too much touching of the face and that it doesn’t help with this type of virus. Sooo many conflicting stories. We have to do what we feel is best and I think if wearing a mask makes us feel safer then do it. I personally can’t wear one because of sinus issues and hinders my breathing.
    Thank you for offering this mask. I will make them available to family and friends that wish to have one.
    Keep safe!!
    Diane
    • Michelle Tothill says:
      Diane, it is so hard to know what is the right thing to do. I asked my sister in law who is a doctor in Vancouver about homemade masks. She said her small hospital still has the proper ones, but if they run short, she would like some homemade ones as a back up. I will make her a variety using some of the patterns posted here.
      I thought it interesting that t-shirt knits are better than sheeting for reducing the spread of viruses, according to this article.
      https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/best-materials-make-diy-face-mask-virus/
  10. BEVERLY GILLOOLY says:
    where is the pattern for the face mask
  11. LoJo says:
    I wonder if you could use coffee filters as replaceable filters. they are rather inexpensive
    • Ann Rhuland says:
      I added a pipe cleaner at the top so you could pinch at nose. I zigzagged it to the lining wrong side just below to the seam allowance when the mask was turned and top stitched I made sure I trapped the pipe cleaner between the seam and top stitch. I tried using PUL but felt it was too hot after it was on for a few min you could breath ok just retained heat.
  12. BRPINTX says:
    I am getting first-line information and the latest is to use thin fabric like Stitch Witchery which will keep the batting inside-layer attached to the outer fabric, with the lining being comfortable, and the entire thing being breathable. If not, it won’t be use, and is thus useless.
    Note: batting must be attached. I’m sure simple quilting will also work.
  13. Mrs. Cross says:
    I made my version and also linked this to my FB page. Also, I used non-woven interfacing as a filter on my lining.
    I wish I could post a picture of it.
  14. Sharon Lippincott says:
    If you lack elastic, look around the house for old clothes and underwear with elastic you can re-purpose. Leg elastic from one pair of panties should work for two masks. Look for heavy elastic cord. Even big rubber bands should work in a pinch.
  15. Janie says:
    what fabric is used for the replaceable filter inserted into some of the masks?
  16. Cathy Skach says:
    I’m wondering if you can help readers locate medical grade fabric to use in these masks?
  17. mililani12 says:
    Thank you for the post.
    A big factor that masks bring to all of us is it limits us from touching our face as often. As we know, not touching our faces is one of the best things we can do.
  18. Danielle Samson says:
    The challenge now is finding 1/4″ elastic. Amazon shipping not until May 1. Many of us have plenty of material just no elastic.
    • ann says:
      yes, no elastic to be found. I called a sewing shop and they suggested anything that could be tied behind the head, twine, shoelaces…
    • Try Walmart or I have seen some using ties instead of elastic.
      • Kaitlyn Hillesland says:
        Etsy shops have elastic!
        My mom has made several styles of masks for medical trips to Ethiopia; the pleated style was everyone’s favorite. They also liked when she put a twisty tie along the top edge so they could be pinched over the bridge if their nose.
    • Tanja says:
      try rubber band
    • Karen says:
      Just use any kind of tie if you don’t have elastic, you could use shoelaces, piping, home made straps, anything that keeps it on.
    • Laurie Winiarski says:
      where are you located? I can still get hair ties larger ones in packs of 15 here in NJ. Picked up 4 packs yesterday. I can get them shipped to you for my cost if you are interested. We may go on lock down after today in NJ, but I will do what I can to help. I will buy any elastic that I see today!
    • Nataลกa Gajลกt says:
      Sometimes you can find elastic in supermarkets (crafts section or similar).
  19. Clare says:
    Please consider donating those N-95s you bought to a hospital or nursing home. They are sorely needed. Nurses, doctors, therapists, techs, and housekeepers have to treat infected patients; most of us on the outside can simply use social distancing. Unless you are at very high risk, healthcare workers need those N-95s much more than us. I’m a respiratory therapy student and our clinicals were cancelled in part because the hospitals couldn’t spare the PPE.
  20. dotlm says:
    I Think Sew has some filter fabric that you can order. It is in Canada so international shipping is pricey, but cheaper than getting this nasty bug.

What do you think?




No comments: